Thursday, July 5, 2012

No Micro-Parenting

When Raiyawna was three years old, I worked overnight at the Navy Lodge. I would go get her in the morning from my friend Sheila's house or either take her to work with me. Yes, I smuggled a child in my job every night I could not get Sheila's help and sometimes when I just felt she'd be better with me!
Anyway, that's another blog.....

So we would get home and I would take myself and Raiyawna (whom we affectionately called Mooney) a bath. While she was in the tub, I would pack her a back pack that contained her Barney collection for that particular day, some books, and a toy. Then I would pack a lunch box putting in it her sandwich, juice box, chips or cookies, and whatever other snack we had. Then, I would take her out the tub and dress her for the day, give her breakfast, all while preparing myself for the bed.

I bought a small fridge just for her and all her things were kept in there. So this is where the smarts came in. I would say, "Mooney, watch your shows and at one two zero zero, you need to eat your lunch and at one zero zero, lay down with Mommy for your nap. We will wake up at three zero zero and go to the park and cook Daddy some dinner (whenever he was on shore). Like clock-work, she followed time and did exactly as she was told. I never micro-managed my baby and she was not only independent, she understood responsibility.

Now, this same child is studying to become a Surgeon. Do I think she can handle that? Anyone who can follow directions this precise at the age of three can be anything she wants to be!

Some of you are raising some smart children who are depending on you for everything. That's because you micro parent them and they never understand that their minds were made to do the same thing yours does. Give them some space and some instructions. You'd be surprised at what your three year old can actually do. Just like micromanaging rarely works in a business, micro parenting never works with children. And you wonder why your children get grown and still call you for everything.

I figure, if a child can hide and sneak to do something wrong that you've never told them was wrong....the same instinct will cause them to do something right "boldly". I always gave her positive feedback concerning her day like: "You've been a smart girl today! How about a trip to the park for being so smart?" Or, "Lets go get a new ball because you've been a smart princess this week!" Her smile would melt my heart! Try it those of you with three year old and tell me how it worked. Happy Parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment